After attending this Seminar Practitioners will be able to:
- Determine when the correct route to overturn an adverse order or decision is rescission, review/special entry or appeal;
- Distinguish between Rule 31, Rule 42 and common law rescissions;
- Understand when and how to embark on having a special entry made;
- Understand when and how to prepare a review application;
- Understand appealability;
- Understand the leave to appeal process;
- Prepare and obtain an appeal record and lodge same;
- Draft Heads of Argument;
- Know how to prepare for an appeal hearing
Who Must Attend
This Seminar is essential for Legal Practitioners who wish to improve their skills with regards to Appeals, Reviews and Rescissions. Prior exposure to Appeals, Review and Rescissions is advisable.
Adv Elizabeth Crouse was admitted as Advocate in 1987. She worked as State prosecutor. She Joined the PE bar in December 1992 and practiced there until 2004. She joined Legal Aid SA, firstly as High Court Unit Manager, Port Elizabeth and later appointed as senior litigator for the Eastern Cape Region. Re-joined the EC Association of Advocates on 1 Feb 2019. Adv Crouse has about 30 reported judgments as counsel and one as an acting judge. She has appeared in the SCA and Constitutional Court on many occasions. She was involvement in Life Esidimeni Arbitration before Justice Moseneke. She also has vast experience as a lecturer and facilitator. Since 2014 appointed as Adjunct Professor, Public Law, Nelson Mandela University. During 2015 to 2018 was member of the Rules Board Superior Courts Task Team. She completed the Inns of London Trial Advocacy course in Since then been actively involved in training legal practitioners in trial Advocacy skills. She has also acted as a judge from 2007 in High Courts in Eastern Cape and Gauteng on a number of occasions.
- Training is open for all legal professionals and is NOT restricted to Nadel members
- REGISTRATION CLOSES 5 days before each Seminar
- Due to the practical nature of this seminar, space is limited for 35 attendees
- NADEL reserves the right to cancel a seminar should the number of delegates not justify the costs involved.
This course is offered free of charge